Although there are two pending mental health reform bills (S.1945, H.R. 2646) that have kicked up the national dialogue swirling around what many call “controversial” measures, there is a major shortage of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals nationwide. In fact, there are an estimated 4,000 areas designated in the U.S. as having such a shortage where there is only one psychiatrist per 30,000 people. That is not a typo. It’s hard to imagine but explains in part why only 10% of individuals with mental health issues seek care. This leaves 90% of that population with unmet behavioral health needs, Lisa A. Marsch, PhD, director of the Center for Technology and Behavioral Health (CTBH) at Dartmouth College told Healthcare Dive. “There is a huge opportunity and unmet need to think about how we’re going to reach that 90%.” This is where technology fits into the new behavioral health paradigm. Telehealth is being adapted very quickly not … [Read more...] about Can technology shape the future of behavioral health?
Aetna better health provider portal
Payers and providers have for decades stayed in their silos, leading to a more fractured and adversarial healthcare system. That relationship, however, is starting to soften for many in the industry. Payer-provider partnerships put the two groups on the same team in hopes of reducing costs and improving care and outcomes through sharing data and better communication. A major driver of these partnerships is the move away from fee-for-service payments and toward valued-based payments and population health management. “We’ve been tracking these partnerships for many years now and of the approximately 200 that have launched in the last five years, 92% are emphasizing value-based compensation in some shape,” Thomas Robinson, partner at Oliver Wyman, told Healthcare Dive. The payer-provider partnerships popping up across healthcare vary in type, size, location and model. There are 50/50 joint ventures with … [Read more...] about Health reform driving payer-provider partnerships